Friday, April 18, 2008

Genealogy Journal - 04/17/08

Today was a genealogy day and a long Padres day - a Padres day so long that I'm posting this on Friday!

I was on the computer reading email and blogs by 8 a.m. I posted "SDGS Trip to SCGS Jamboree in June" and then did the research and posted "Ancestry and Rootsweb Traffic Statistics" that showed how thorough Ancestry's incorporation of Rootsweb into their domain is. I visited the http://www.fultonhistory.com/ web site (provided by my colleague Shirley) which has some historical newspaper archives from central New York. I put "Seaver" in the search engine and got over 5,000 hits. Many of them were for Tom Seaver, the pitcher, but I found quite a few obituaries and stories from the 1890 to 1930 time period in the Watertown (NY) Daily Times. I transcribed a number of them directly into my Seaver database - and there are many more to do - I only looked at the first 100 matches. That was a fun three hours!

After lunch, I posted "Will we ever see a 'Genealogy Idol' Program on TV?" after thinking about it for awhile. I did a little research for two correspondents using census and other records. I read the blogs again and found that 17 April was "Poem in My Pocket" day so I posted "Poem in My Pocket day" with two of my favorite genealogy poems. I then checked out http://www.generationmaps.com/ again and uploaded my 16 mb master database file to see what really nice charts will cost. Linda came home, so I went in to read the paper and take a short nap.

We left at 5 p.m. for the Padres game against Colorado. We took the trolley into downtown San Diego, ate at the Tin Fish outdoor restaurant near the park, and were in Petco Park by 6:30. We always visit my brother's Little League coach (from the 1960's) who is an usher in section 300 - he was my dad's good friend for many years. This was a scoreless tie until the 14th inning, when both teams scored a run. We left at 11:15 after the 15th inning, the trolley was waiting for us, we were home by 12 midnight, watched it into the 18th inning until 12:30, then turned the TV off and the radio on, and the game was won by Colorado in the 22nd inning, ending at 1:20 a.m. I was still awake...so that's why I'm posting this on Friday! I need a nap!

Genealogy on Thursday was 7.0 hours - 1.0 hour reading and writing email, 0.5 hour reading blogs, 2.0 hours writing blog posts, 3.0 hours transcribing newspaper articles, and 0.5 hour working with the GenerationMaps upload.

No comments: